- You voted FOR the $819 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. This bill, which was needed ostensibly to keep unemployment under 6.4% (according to Christine Romer) has failed in that purpose as unemployment has surged to over 9%, but we're still stuck with the tab of this failed legislation.
- You voted FOR the omnibus spending bill.
- You voted AGAINST the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009 (which was intended to prevent mortgage foreclosures and enhance mortgage credit availability. Michael Bennet, Senator from Colorado voted for this in the Senate).
- You voted to impose additional taxes on bonuses received from TARP money (this despite the fact that the TARP legislation explicitly authorized these bonuses). In other words, this arbitrary, confiscatory taxation removed money from American pockets - money the congress put there in the first place - and set a dangerous precedent that the government can take what it wants, when it wants.
- You voted for the measure that gives federal employees 4 weeks of paid parental leave, adding (at taxpayer expense) to a benefits package that is already better than that of most Americans and adding money to the federal budget
- And most recently, you voted FOR the cap and trade legislation which some estimates say will DOUBLE the energy costs of many American families, in particular those who get their electricity from coal fired power plants. Other negatives of this bill include estimates of at least 1.8 million jobs lost and a $283 Billion reduction in the GDP by 2030 and $1.1 Trillion by 2050.
Saturday, July 4, 2009
My latest message to Congresswoman Markey
US House Of Representatives
July 4, 2009
I just received your mailer where you tout how you've been working for me, the taxpayer, by reluctantly voting against President Obamas titanic budget. In support of this claim you listed seven bullet points that show your dedication to bring fiscal responsibility back to Washington. Among these was voting against the release of the last $350 billion of the bailout package. Kudos to you.
However, when I examine your voting record, I'm puzzled. Among the bullets listing your fiscal responsibility and service to the community, nowhere is listed the votes for larger government at the taxpayer expense.
So while I appreciate your mailer touting your fiscal conservancy, it seems like many politicians you're handing me a dollar with one hand while plucking two from my wallet with the other. Now, more than ever, the American people are watching our elected officials. How they vote on EVERY issue matters, so I hope you remember that when you go to vote on the next issue and send your next mailer. Happy 4th of July!!